1. put on
◆与put有关的其他短语：put away (收起来)；put down (放下)；put in (插话)；put off (推迟)；put out (熄灭)；put up (张贴)；put up with (忍受；容忍)
a. 增加(体重)；发胖 b. 上演；演出 c. 穿上；戴上
( )1. the students are putting on a dance.
( )2. he put on his best clothes for the party.
( )3. she has put on several kilos.
1. the school sports meeting will be _______ because of the heavy rain.
a. put up b. put on c. put off
2. —have you heard of the big fire that broke out on huaguo mountain at qingming festival?
—yes. luckily, hundreds of firemen went there and _______ the fire immediately.
a. put off b. put away c. put down d. put out
3. —oh, my god! i have _______ five pounds.
—don't worry. it's normal for a growing teenage girl.
a. put up b. put off c. put on d. put down
2. lie & lay
(1) tim is an honest boy. he never _______.
(2) my hen _______ two eggs today.
(3) when the guests came in, i was _______ the table.
(4) shenzhen _______ in the south of china.
(5) after long hours' work, he often _______ on the beach and has a rest.
(6) i wonder who _______ an oven on the table.
3. dead, die, death & dying
(1) his grandma has been _______ for two years.
(2) the lovely cat _______ on a cold night and its owner was very sad.
(3) look at the _______ dog; its mouth is still open.
(4) his _______ was sudden and all of us were shocked completely.
◆作动词，意为：①招待；请(客)，短语treat sb. to sth.意为“用某物招待某人”。 ②对待，短语treat ... as ... 意为“把……看作……；把……视为……”。
◆作名词，意为“款待；招待”， 短语be one's treat意为“由某人请客”。
it's _______ _______; what would you like?
i'll _______ _______ _______ _______.
i _______ his words _______ a warning just now.
5. end up
意为“最终成为；最后处于”，与其相关的短语有：①end up with (以……结束)；②end up doing sth. (以做某事结束)。
we _______ _______ our dinner _______ fruit and coffee yesterday.
i _______ _______ _______ all the work myself.
6. but behind all these things lies the true meaning of christmas: ...
there comes the bus.
by the window sat a young man with a magazine in his hand.
_______ _______ a tall man.
_______ _______ _______ _______ her friend jim.
7. 巧记单词 (黑体词为本单元新学)
strange (奇怪的；陌生的)→stranger (陌生人)
god (上帝；神)→goddess (女神)
novel (小说)→novelist (小说家)
busy (忙碌的)→business (生意；商业)
punish (惩罚)→punishment (惩罚)
warm (暖和的)→warmth (温暖；暖和)